Sunday 4 March 2012

Martin Papst Blog Entry 1: Author's Certain Choices

I am certain that the reason that The House of the Scorpion started with a chapter one and not a prologue is because of the way the book is written.  The reason that I say this is because if you skim through the book, it has 3 sections. All of the sections have an age written underneath them. This means that the book was written somewhat like a timeline of the protagonist’s life. Being that it is a timeline, a prologue would not only look out of place, but as well as feel out of place. I am certain that this is why she decided to start with a section 1 instead of a prologue.


Some other things I have noticed that might give a clue as to what the writer was thinking are hidden in the text. I feel that the writer is trying to relate to something that is happening in real life where a group of people or possibly other organisms are getting treated unfairly and are being forced to either never see the light of day or to be treated like dirt and completely ignored. An example I think about while describing what the writer is thinking about is world hunger. I think the writer is secretly making you think about things while you are reading to either make you think deeper or change your opinion on a subject.


The author decided to make the story take place in the future because it helps with the clone idea. Setting the story in the present or the past would not make sense because I don’t think we have full cloning technology yet. I really could not figure out why the author decided to make Matt a clone. It will probably become clearer later on in the story. Right now though, I think that Matt being a slave or a slave baby would have been be just as effective as him being a clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment